Burn Permits logo

Township of Hamilton Burn Permits

Apply for your online permit today.

Current Progress

Welcome to the Township of Hamilton Online Open Burn Permit Manager.

Please fill in the form to create a new account and register for your first permit.

Already have an account? Login

Select Permit Type:

Personal Information

Landlord Information

Login Details

Select Address:

No Active Addresses!

Add an address to get started.

Your account has been successfully created!

Terms & Conditions

Please select a burn permit type.

Upload Photos for Permit  (Optional)

Please upload photos, if available, of the burning site and what you intend to burn.

Select Burn Permit

Sign Here

Signature Of


Click reset to add your own signature if needed.

Notification Methods


Enabling notifications by providing one or more contact methods below will ensure that you receive important information (e.g. changes to risk level, ban status changes etc.)

Text Msg.


Phone Call

Your permit is being created.

Please DO NOT close the window during this time.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can obtain a burn permit?

Residents who own/rent property within the municipality may obtain a burn permit. Tenants and or contractors with permission of the property owner may obtain a burn permit. You will need to have the property owner/landlords email in order to apply for a burn permit.

How can I obtain a burn permit?

You may register online using this website, or you can visit us in person at the Hamilton Township Municipal Office. We are located at 8285 Majestic Hills Dr, Cobourg, ON . Our office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30am to 4:30pm.

Do I need a permit?

If you want to have an open air fire (bonfire, fire pit) you will need to obtain a permit. Contractors will require a commercial permit in order to burn during day time hours. A site inspection by our Fire Prevention Division and a Fire Safety Plan are also required components of the commercial permit application process. Agricultural burn permits are required by farming properties in order to burn during the day time hours provided the farmer meets the definition of a farm permit. A site inspection by our Fire Prevention Division and a Fire Safety Plan are also required components of the agricultural permit application process for farming properties intending to burn material piles greater than 3 cubic metres in size. Fireworks displays require a permit and an application shall be made a minimum twenty-one(21) calendar days prior to the event.

Do I require a permit to use a BBQ, enclosed device or a burn barrel?

A person may have an open fire without obtaining a permit provided the following: The fire is contained in a burn barrel as attached in schedule “A” of Open Air Burn By-Law 2014-19. The fire is contained in an enclosed device as attached in schedule “B” of Open Air Burn By-Law 2014-19. The fire area is no larger than 30cm3 and the fire is used to cook food, the fire area is in a pit or other device such as a BBQ designed for said use.

Can I burn during the day time?

Residential permit holders are not permitted to burn in the municipality April 1st to October 31st between the hours of 8am & 6pm. Burning between November 1st to March 31st can occur at any time throughout the day provided there is not a burning ban or restrictions in place.

How will I know if a burn ban has been placed?

We will notify you via the email or phone number you have provided when registering for your permit. Our electronic sign board at the Municipal Office will indicate if a ban is in place, as well as our fire department facebook page will update residents.. You also have the option of visiting our Municipal website at www.hamiltontownship.ca to see if a burning ban has been placed.